Current as of May 5, 2019p
Type of Regulation: Title Protection
Title Protected: Registered Counselling Therapist (RCT)
- The Counselling Therapist Act was proclaimed on October 11, 2011.
- Regulation is under the Regulated Health Professions Network Act (RPHNA).
- The Nova Scotia College of Counselling Therapists (NSCCT) is the regulatory body.
- The College awards professional credentials that include Registered Counselling Therapist- Candidate (RCT-C) and Registered Counselling Therapist (RCT).
- NSCCT has approximately 200 members.
- NSCCT activities include:
- regulation of Counselling Therapists (that includes ethical oversight)
- protection of the public
- education of employers, insurers, and the public about the mandate and role of the College and the qualifications and competencies of its members.
- Great success has been had lobbying employers and insurers.
- professional development of members in the areas of ethics and supervision
- The College espouses an inter-professional collaborative approach to professional development