Current as of May 5, 2019
Type of Regulation: Title Protection
Titles Protected: Licensed Counselling Therapist, Licensed Career Counsellor, Registered Counselling Therapist, Registered Career Counsellor
- Various groups in New Brunswick have been pursuing legislation for more than 21 years.
- A Federation of three counselling groups (New Brunswick Association of Counselling Therapists) (NBACT), New Brunswick Professional Counselling Association (NBPCA), and Association francophone des conseillères et des conseillers en orientation du Nouveau-Brunswick (AFCONB)) was formed to move the regulation of counsellors forward.
- In New Brunswick this type of legislation must be presented as a Private Member’s Bill.
- In March 2014, the Federation engaged legal counsel. This was essential to move the bill forward.
- Bill 64 Licensed Counselling Therapy Act/ PROJET DE LOI 64/ Loi régissant la profession de conseiller et de conseillère thérapeute agréé was circulated to various organizations for comment by the Federation’s legal counsel.
- Bill 64 received first reading in March 2017.
- The Act passed Committee Review on April 11, 2017.
- 2nd and 3rd readings occurred the week of May 1, 2017
- The bill was given Royal Assent on May 5, 2017.
- The College was proclaimed on June 1, 2017 and is now up and running.
- The College now has almost 200 members.
- The Grandparenting period ends on May 31, 2020.